Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Busy

It is that time of year.  When everyone gets the grumpies.  When we all tend to answer questions about our days with a heaving sigh and sharp response along the lines of one of the following:

"Don't have time"
"Tired"
"Worn out"
"Over worked"

And my favorite of them all...

"I'm just so busy."

I know, I know.  I'm just as guilty as the next person of tossing out one of those easy responses when the skies have been dingy-gray flannel for days on end, the wind has been biting into every pore, the static electricity won't stop crackling, it seems as though spring will never come, and the salt dinge just won't quit getting on everything.  December may be the darkest month of the year, but February and March have to be the most depressing. 

So I am challenging myself to a few things.  First, to keep up with my new (aka: return to) fitness routine.  I've been running and hitting up the elliptical at least 3-4 times each week for a few weeks now.  Outside when the weather permits, and on the elliptical when it doesn't.  I loathe the indoor workouts, but I still feel better.  Second, keep on with better eating habits.  Every time I slip back into the junky foods I feel worse.  So these apples next to my keyboard are replacing the kettle corn I know is in the break room.  They will make my body and spirits happier. 

And the big challenge-to recognize that we are all busy.  But that does not mean my busy is more important than your busy.  And that I should focus on the positive.  Spread a little good energy around.  Maybe instead of the party-line answer to "How are you doing," I could shout out a better answer of "great!" or "happy to be here!"

We won't make it through to the sunnier spring days in one piece if we continuously snipe and bicker.  So let's ban together.  Let's focus on the good in our days.  Treat each other with grace and kindness.  Recognize we are all leading full and busy lives that are equally important.  Take deep breaths.  Lead with love.  We all have value-equally.