Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Public Potty Woes

I have to rant a bit.  Nothing major, just a minor irritant that I have nowhere else to express other than here.  And since this is my corner of the friendly confines of the interwebs, I'm going to take full-advantage.

Beware, it is about to get grody up in here.

My office has a restroom.  A tiny, one-person, sink and toilet combo restroom.  And it is viewed as a "staff" restroom.  This isn't my first encounter with the office/staff restroom combo.  My second office as a school counselor had the female staff restroom behind my desk.  Then we moved buildings.  Then I moved right back to that office 1.5 years later.  Then I moved several more times.  Now I'm in a temporary home that houses a new "staff" restroom.  This one is different in that it isn't just for the girls.  And it has (oddly) a scale in it.  You know, so we can weigh ourselves during our workday.  Hmmmmm. 

Am I the only one who is repulsed by using a restroom inside someones office?  I don't like other people hearing me pee. And since this is my office, I have to listen to everyone who uses it-and yes, I get to have my air polluted from time to time.  It was worse the first go-round when I was expecting and my sense of smell was magnified.  Woah was that something awful. 

I don't want to be mean about it.  I don't want to put a note on the door telling people to stay out.  I don't want to get bitchy.  I don't want to shoo them.  But I am sick and tired of working within sniffing and listening distance of one of our staff restrooms.  I have no issues using student restrooms.  Nor do I have any issue walking 15 feet down the hall to the other perfectly functioning restroom.  This is not about me wanting to keep the space to myself.  Nope.  I don't want it.  You can have it.  If someone came and took it for their office or classroom, I would never darken their doorstep to use the facilities.  Maybe that is what I should do, auction it off and have the proceeds go to our Be the Change team this year.  Because seriously, I am tired of being the school counselor/restroom attendant.