Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Titanic Love Affair

I fell in love with the legend of Titanic in fourth grade when a book from the Scholastic Book Club came for me.  Dr. Ballard had written it and it was filled with photographs taken at the time of her launch and ones from the time of his discovery of the wreck.  From that moment forward I was a Titanic junkie.  I knew the ins and outs of the ship and her fate.  I knew what the staterooms were comprised of.  I knew the captain and his crew by name.  When you paired my love of history with love of Victorian fashion and the drama of the story it was fate that I would become fascinated.

Then, in the late 90's I started hearing rumors about a film.  So I did some digging.  When word of the release date was announced I pre-purchased tickets.  I was so determined to see it on opening day, I went right after getting a tooth pulled.  Who does that? I sobbed my way through the last hour, knowing full well that Jack & Rose would have some horrific fate.  Between the deep sadness and the throbbing sensation in my jaw I felt as though I were part of the disaster itself.  I can't remember now, but I returned to the theatre multiple times to see it.  With friends. With my mom.  With my grandma.  With anyone who hadn't seen it yet.  I became obsessed with growing out my hair and dying it that perfect shade of auburn. I wanted one of those fancy hair combs.

I have issues.

But when you lay eyes on this hat, can you blame me?





It was perfection, topped with the world's biggest bow.

Sigh.

Tomorrow I will return to the scene of the crime.  I will drop my son off at school, and hit up the theatre for the 10:15 showing of Titanic.  Only this time it will be in 3D.  I hope that bow reaches out and smacks me in the face.  I am prepared with boxes of tissues and make-up to touch up with after.  I will have a giant bucket of popcorn, some Sno Caps, and a giant soda to drown my sorrows into.  After all, is there any better way to pass 3 hours and 15 minutes on a girl's spring break day?