Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Musical Confession

So I have a confession to make.  One that may make some readers laugh.  One that may make some of you roll your eyes at me.  One that I've been keeping hidden for quite some time...

I am becoming a huge country music junkie.

Not just a passive listener.  Not just a "ooohhh I heard that country song on my Top 40 station and really liked it" listener. 

No, I'm talking a buy the albums, listen to the satellite station all the time, watch the videos, know the top 20 countdown songs most weeks, watch the backstory specials on CMT, even go to a few concerts now...junkie.

Go ahead and mock if you must.  But here is how this came to be (from a girl who only loved indie musicians and swore Country music was for the birds)...

I was driving to a conference over a year ago and needed a good music mix to listen to.  I was scanning the stations on my satellite radio and stumbled across the country station.  I stopped for a while and liked what I heard.  Listened for the two hour drive.  It wasn't the country I knew as a girl growing up in the burbs.  It wasn't the twangy country I assumed it might be.  It was fun.  It reminded me of the beach even.

But what really caused me to fall head over heels in love was the songs about being in love.  More specifically the men singing about their beloved.  Never in all of my music-going had I heard such simple and perfect expressions of adoration for women.  And these songs reminded me of things my husband has said to me. Or ways he has looked at me.  Things he has done for me.  And all the ways he has made me melt with just a look.  Kind of like this...




Sigh...

So yes, I am a full-fledged Country Music lovin gal.  Singing at the top of my lungs in the car. But mostly it is because whenever I flip on the radio I am transported right back to my most favorite place in the whole world...wrapped in the arms of my adoring husband.