Tuesday, January 17, 2012

From Saturday to Now **Updated**

So I sort of fell off the face of the blogosphere, didn't I?  This whole "I'm going to post every day for a month" isn't in the cards for me.  But let me tell you my tale of the weekend through to this morning and at least explain why the thought of putting fingers to keyboard was unbearable...

I have mentioned that I was taking steps to wrangle my anxiety to levels I could handle.  And so I saw my CNP last week.  She and I decided on a course of meds for me-based on symptoms and the meds I take to control migraine headaches.  I picked up the meds from my pharmacist on Thursday and started them that evening.  Slept like a stone (however that is).  Was quite sleepy all day Friday.  Took a two-hour nap in front of the TV Friday night.  And then I went to bed and passed out like I hadn't slept in years. 

This, my friends, is not normal. 

I woke up Saturday with the start of a migraine.  I've been getting them since I was in junior high and know the signs well.  Since I didn't intend on spending the day feeling awful, I took the prescription I have for acute treatment.  No one had told me this might not be safe.  Within an hour the headache was gone.  I was still sleepy as all get out, not hungry at all, and felt like a weak kitten.  Did a little research on my new med and discovered this was common in the first few days, but should wear off.  Took next scheduled dose and went to bed.

Woken up in the middle of the night by crying son who complained of earache.  Felt dizzy and uncoordinated (more than typical for me) as I walked to his bathroom to give him some Tylenol.  Should have been concerned.  Instead I went back to bed.  By morning I had added to the pile of symptoms a headache that wasn't a migraine, but more like someone had tied a band of iron around my skull and tightened it.  And whenever I stood, moved, or breathed with any sense of urgency the headache increased exponentially.  And I was still dizzy, uncoordinated, sleepy, and not feeling hungry (rather the opposite of hungry). 

Now I got the message that something was not right.

Started digging and researching possible problems.  Discovered that my migraine med and my new anxiety med can possibly cause a condition called Serotonin Syndrome.  I showed early symptoms.  Course of treatment was to stop all meds immediately and see if you improve.  My Sunday consisted of the following:

Season 1 Downton Abbey (why did NO ONE tell me about this delightful show before?!)
Switch Couch
Season 2 Downton Abbey
Cursing that there were not more episodes to watch
Many, many bathroom breaks

By nightfall I was hungry (pizza). My headache had lessened to a dull ache.  I felt solid enough on my feet to wander downstairs to my family.  By Monday I actually was dressed. 

So I am back to square one.  The pharmacist confirmed my self-diagnosis and I'm waiting for the CNP to call to see what is next.  I am not going to give up.  Even if today I feel no anxiety, I know it is lurking around the corner and I do not want to let it win.

So my CNP called last night and has me off the meds for two weeks to make sure I'm okay.  If we want to try them again, we will at that point.  I'm not so certain I do.  Too scary for me, as I cannot be without my migraine medicine in my life.  So now I'm moving on to my family practitioner, per CNP directive.  No biggie, just a change in the plan.  I'm down with that!  I'll keep y'all updated!