Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Loss is Unfair

About two minutes ago my husband called and asked me if I was sitting down. He had some bad news. I didn't quite believe him, as he can be a bit of a prankster. Oh how I wish I could go back to that moment in time where I thought it was a joke. There was no prank.

A friend, a colleague of mine passed away unexpectedly this morning. As I've said before, I'm a school counselor. I work with our career tech school, and she was an employee there. She worked with many of my at-risk students as they prepared to start their journeys into career-technical education. This past year she went into the classroom and while their full-time students benefited from her wry sense of humor, her demand for focus, and her big heart, I missed her tremendously. I still saw her on occasion, just not as often as I liked.

After learning of her passing, I honestly didn't know what to do. I paced the floor in tears. My four year-old asked what was wrong. I gave him an honest answer. He gave me a hug, kiss, said he was sorry, and went back to Kai-Lan. After thinking, weeping more, I turned here. My readers and the blogger community I so love is the place I knew I could come to. Loss is never easy. Be it someone who has been ill for months or years and in pain, someone who has lived a full life and goes in their sleep, a young person in a tragic accident, or like my friend who I last saw when I was selling prom tickets and joked she could be my date and now is gone. My heart aches for my own loss, but more for her husband, her son, her family. For her tightly-knit work family I get to be a satellite of. If you are reading this, please send a prayer out into the universe for Edwina today. For her family and friends. That they may find some comfort and healing. Because loss never makes sense and it is never fair.

Blog Footer