Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

little dreams for a sunday

As a school counselor, I'm always preaching to my students "set goals" "follow your path" and talking, talking, talking about careers.  It is endless work.  Especially with junior high school students making the big bad leap to high school.  They look at me like I am nuts when I ask them to pick a career and start working towards it.  My usual reaction to this face is to tell them to relax, because I still don't know what I want to do with my life.  They laugh, relax, and we go back to work.


The thing is, I'm not kidding.


I think often about how I would love to make my own fantastic way into the world.  I would like to blaze my trail into the world through my words, photography, and connections to everyone through social media.  I love it, sitting here and writing to whomever is reading.  If I had more time, I would sit down every day with a cup of coffee, turn up my music and write away for hours while I find lovely tidbits for y'all to read. But my real job keeps getting in the way of such fun.  


After I had Jack, I found the world of bloggers through mom blogging.  That first summer home with an infant, I spent my days feeding, rocking, and reading (or watching if you are counting momversation.com) lots and lots of mom blogs.  As he is growing, I've branched out.  I read food blogs.  Gardening blogs.  Fashion blogs.  There are so many fabulous, smart, fun people out there writing that I cannot get enough of it.  I have my daily roll I go through, and each weekend I play catch-up.  Then I find another one to add to my list.  


This weekend, I was reading Sally McGraw's list of lovely links and stumbled across a new blog via this post about the merits of dreaming small.  Sarah's piece about being the best little fish you can be, really struck a chord with me.  Here I am, running around like a chicken with my head cut off...working a full-time job, being a wife, mom, friend, sister, daughter.  Then I try to do things like gardening, quilting, blogging, baking, canning, and more on top of it.  Somewhere I decided I wanted this blog (that I love and adore) to be big.  And I mean BIG.  But it doesn't have to be.  It can just be a good little blog that it's readers love to read, I love to write, and is good.  


So, I promise you, darling readers, that I will always write my best.  I will only write when I have time to.  I won't write when I should be playing with my son, or doing laundry.  (okay, I'm totally lying about the laundry part)  I will shower anyone who comes here with love, and pass along good tidbits about things I adore about home, family, the Midwest, and more.  


Even if I stay the tiniest little fish in the whole of Lake Erie.


Blog Footer