Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

on perspective

Today wasn't the best of days.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't awful by any stretch of the imagination, but it was the type that put me in a little bit of a funk.  You know what I mean, those where you'll be driving alone in your car, mulling over what your day has been like and feel the gloom draw ever closer around you until you're irritated just by the sight of the sun.  Blech.  The thing is, no tragedy occurred in my life today.  I managed to accomplish a vast majority of things off my to-do list at work.  I stuck with our new healthier eating plan.  I remembered to pick up the milk at the grocery store on my way home.    This girl just needed a serious dose of perspective to right the world.  Well, I got it...

Late last year, a woman that was in my high school class lost her son to a courageous battle with cancer.  He was slightly older than our son.  On Facebook, and on her family's blog, so many of our classmates showed tremendous support from far and wide, through messages of support and prayers.  It amazed me what we were all capable of, all these years later.  When he passed, even though I never had the chance to meet him, and even though I have not seen his mother since high school, I was incredibly saddened by it.  I grieved for this amazing child and family who lost so much.  I don't know how they survive.  Today she posted to her blog about how they are moving forward, even through so much pain still.  I continue to think about them when I am struggling to find the strength to be a better mom to our son.  And today, when I was having a pity party for myself, I realized just how wonderful I do have it.  We all need that slap in the face sometimes...to sit back and count our blessings.  I don't know what tomorrow will bring, and I know that I don't want to waste today wallowing in pity for myself because of a few little problems today.  Ugh, that just looks so annoying typed out.  Wallowing in pity.  

I'll get off my soapbox now...I have a wonderful little boy who keeps running in here trying to get me to watch Doc Hudson race.  Just promise me that today, you will take a step back in your lives to think about the good that is in them.  It is there, even when you feel all is lost.


Blog Footer