Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sharing Ohio Love

I don't know about you, but I've been following the "Made In America" series on ABC News lately.  I completely adore it.  As a family, we do all we can to support local merchants, producers, and companies who employ our neighbors and communities.  This series is all about putting people back to work and supporting our local economies.  By committing to buy local and American made products, we can do our part to boost our economy and homegrown companies.  Just by shopping! How can you not love that concept?  Today I took a look at the list for Ohio, and here is what I found...



And that is only the tip of the iceberg!  For one of our family gatherings, we do a gift basket exchange instead of gifting to each person.  Our basket is an "Ohio Love You" themed gift basket...filled with jams, pickles, sauces and more that I've made over the summer months from produce gathered from our garden and the gardens at our CSA.  We also stick in other Ohio made products...raw Ohio honey, Middle West Spirits OYO Whiskey, and more.  It is my hope to show our family that Ohio products are the best around, and what I've created for them in our kitchen is straight from the heart to theirs. 

I know that many of you have your holiday shopping done, but if you don't take the time to look into locally-owned shops and for items made as close to home as you can get.  The map I've linked you to above is a great place to start.  Believe me when I tell you, these merchants not only will provide you with a great product but will also build great relationships with their clients-in ways you just won't find with big box stores.  So go forth readers! Find your small town merchants, your local treasures, your made in America goodies and gift away! Happy shopping and Merry Christmas!