Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Comforts

So I spent my morning yesterday photographing the beauty of a January frost in the sun, editing the photographs while drinking coffee, listening to music and my preschooler play with his toys,  then putting together a post to share the beauty with anyone who cares to follow me along this journey in life.  Jack and I planned a menu for that most hard-working man in our life that we adore, and set out for the grocery store.  My husband had put in a very long six-day work week, so I wanted to fill him up with comfort foods-gourmet macaroni and cheese and a delicious chocolate pudding tart.  As Jack and I set out for the grocery store my iPhone pinged as a message from my CNN app pushed through regarding a shooting in Arizona.  At first I dismissed it and moved on with our drive.  Then another message-a shooting in Arizona had killed (later we learned different) a Congresswoman from AZ.  Grasping his hand, Jack and I ran through the bitter cold into the store and began our mission to get comfort food.  Only now as my phone continued to push horrific message after message, the comfort food would be more than a happy end to a long work week for my husband.  It would turn into a satisfying warm hug of a meal that might remind me that my little family unit was still intact.  We are safe, whole and here.


Arriving at home, I set out to cook, but was lulled by the coverage of the shootings.  What amazed me though was the immediate solace I took in my twitter feed.  Really?  Twitter?  Where the news media was sensational, social media was sane and calm.  Where reporters were using exclamations and caps lock, social media was quoting the likes of MLK and Gandhi.  Suddenly people from all across the world joined hands and tried to make sense out of the senseless.  I thought back to 9/11/01 when we didn't have this resource and many of us sat alone that night wishing there was someone to hold our hand, look into our eyes and tell us we were okay.  Yesterday afternoon, social media gave many of us concerned citizens the sounding board we needed.


Eventually I stood up from my ottoman and began to cook what would be a sinfully delicious dinner for my family.  The stirring, chopping, tasting, plating of food was calming and brought me back to a place that felt right.  The noise of the commentators on TV was drowned out by my stand mixer, food processor, and various other kitchen appliances.  Once my husband and I sat down to consume a rich plate of macaroni and cheese (made with dry white wine, Parmesan cheese, and sharp cheddar) and a bittersweet chocolate pudding tart I felt like my old self again.  Of course, a surprise visit from a dear work friend helped too.


Is it important to worry, pray, and be mindful of all that happened on Saturday?  I believe so, without a doubt in my mind.  But it is also good to remember these words from Martin Luther King, Jr.: 






"Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it.  Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it.  Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it."
~  Martin Luther King, Jr.


Blogger and photographer, Karen Walrond, posted this yesterday in response to all the madness.  Part of the miracle of social media I believe.


Here is a link to Williamsburg's Blue Talon Bistro's recipes.  We fell in love with this restaurant a few winters ago, and their macaroni and cheese is out of this world.  Worth the effort/steps if you are looking for the ultimate in comfort foods.  Divine in every sense of the word.


Blog Footer