Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

The taste of home

I'll be quick this morning because I'm about to dash out the door for breakfast with the family...

This weekend we made a trek back to my hometown to visit, watch football, see my baby sister's apartment, and generally hang out.  It was a nice break from the routine we normally have and a chance to revisit some of the tastes of my childhood.  Last night for dinner I picked up sausage pizza and jo-jo's from Italo's.  This is the food that grandma always brought whenever she babysat us.  From the moment I set the boxes in the backseat of the car, the scent made me feel six all over again.  It was heavenly.  I can't quite explain what makes those sausage pizzas so delicious...could be that they literally dust the entire thing with sausage, could be the sausage itself, could be the sauce.  Don't know.  They're just the best thing ever.  And the jo-jo's.  I haven't had one in probably 15 years.  I can't quite explain them to you except to say that they're about 1/4 of a potato, breaded, fried, and delicious.  Here's a wikipedia article that sort of does them justice.  You can only get them in Akron, so I have to come home to find them.  To top off the evening we grabbed frozen custard from Stricklands (I know...it wasn't Pav's...but I don't play favorites people...and if Jeni's came to Akron, all bets are OFF!).  All in all, it was perfection.  

Now, off to Kent to visit with the sister.  And to eat some more.  It's been a delicious weekend...


p.s.  Swenson's is still the best


Blog Footer